This week, plan a date night. Let go of YOUR idea of what it looks like to spend an evening with your kiddo, and let him plan the entire adventure. Letting the little Mr. or Ms. plan your special time together will boost their self esteem, empower them to new heights and let them know that you value their decision making.
You can start by giving him (or her) a budget and some time frames. Let him know that he will need to make any necessary reservations and take care of any other arrangements that need to be made.
And then – HANDS OFF!
This will build fabulous skills in your little date planner, such as:
- communication (help him write a phone script if needed and do a few mock calls for practice)
- time management (help to map out time frames if needed)
- budgeting (he must stick within the budget – he can call and ask for prices)
- brainstorming (you can help with ideas – IF he asks)
- decision making (he can ask your opinion, but the point is for him to decide)
- mapping (help him if necessary)
During your date remember to:
- communicate (ask open-ended questions)
- listen (don’t do all the talking)
- be affectionate (remember they crave your unconditional love and approval)
- be cool (don’t embarrass the poor thing)
When you’re all done, journal your memories together and start a scrap book.